Marcellus Shale Impact Fee, Regulatory Bill Passes House
2/9/2012
HARRISBURG – Rep. Lynda Schlegel Culver (R-Northumberland/Snyder) and Rep. Kurt Masser (R-Columbia/Montour/Northumberland) voted in support of House Bill 1950, legislation that will allow communities and the state to maintain unconventional drilling throughout the Commonwealth. The bill has been sent to Gov. Tom Corbett to be signed into law.

House Bill 1950 will give 60 percent of the revenue collected from the impact fee to local governments to be used for projects such as to repair roads and bridges, water and sewer system construction, and emergency response training. The remaining 40 percent will be given to statewide initiatives for projects such as the Commonwealth Financing Authority, the Environmental Stewardship Fund (Growing Greener), and repairs infrastructure.

“This legislation is a product of compromise and reaching a consensus on impact fees and environmental protection,” said Masser. “One of my main concerns with House Bill 1950 was that it didn’t take away the local municipalities’ option to impose an impact fee for drilling, but the Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors, the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs, the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania Association of Conservation Districts all support this bill.”

The bill establishes uniform regulations to help the areas where the drilling is taking place, including strengthening the laws, creating more protections for the environment and water sources, and dedicating funding to programs that benefit state environmental resources.

“Since this legislation affects the various regions of the Commonwealth in different ways, this bill is a compromised starting point that we can use to grow on in the future,” said Culver. “Changes to the rules can be made as we move forward, but we need to get some regulations in place because the drilling isn’t going to stop and wait.”

The impact fee established in House Bill 1950 depends on the price of natural gas. Beginning Jan. 1, 2013, the fee may be adjusted to reflect any changes in the Consumer Price Index.

State Representative Lynda Schlegel Culver
108th District, Pennsylvania House of Representatives

State Representative Kurt Masser
107th District, Pennsylvania House of Representatives

Contact:
Krisinda Corbin
kcorbin@pahousegop.com
717.705.2032
Share |